Pumpkin does double duty when it comes to either loose stool or constipation. While your dog will not enjoy suffering from constipation, there are certain things that can be done to try and relieve them. The high water and fiber content acts to hydrate the intestines and their contents when dogs and cats are suffering from constipation. Start with 1 tsp for cats and smaller dogs and 2 tsp for larger dogs at the first sign of constipation. The water and fiber in the pumpkin will be absorbed by the dry stools in your dog’s or cat’s intestines, and your pet should experience relief in a few hours.
Likewise, pumpkin can also be used to treat diarrhea. The soluble fiber in pumpkins actually helps absorb excess water in the bowels that the body didn’t absorb properly, thereby helping to calm diarrhea. For bad ‘blowout’ diarrhea, you can give a tablespoon every 20 minutes until your pet is able to control his bowels.
Not only does it help with occasional GI upset, it can also ease the transition from switching from one food to another, and this remedy can be used in dogs or cats.
There are other natural ways to help your pet if they are living with GI issues too. For example, many gastrointestinal issues in cats, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBS) are caused by inflammation, which means cannabidiol can be an effective treatment. In case you were not already aware, cannabidiol (CBD) is a hemp plant extract.
Generally speaking, cannabidiol from hemp is highly effective, safe, and natural. Consequently, CBD for cats has the ability to reduce both swelling and pain within the GI tract and can keep your cat’s digestive system running regularly and feeling more at ease. Just remember to always speak to a vet before giving any natural products to your pet.
More Pumpkin-tastic facts:
- Pumpkin seeds are high in essential fatty acids and antioxidants (good for overall healthy skin and fur).
- The oils in pumpkins’ flesh and seeds are believed to support urinary health.
- Pumpkin is an excellent source of Vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium and iron.
- Pumpkin may even reduce the likelihood your pet will develop cancer.
- Can be added to a pet’s diet in order to help with losing weight. The fiber helps them feel full without adding too many extra calories.